Sunday 3 February 2013

My 2 Year Adventure, Week 1: Corn and Crab Fritters with Guacamole/Sauteed Snapper with Orange-Fennel Salad

Week 1:
       Today my dad and I made Corn and Crab Fritters with Guacamole. I had no clue what to expect. I had never eaten a fritter before today. I was in a bit of a frenzy at the store because I haven't ever had to look for canned crab before so I wasn't sure if the store would have it. They did, and they had many varieties of it. I spent a full 5 minutes deciding what kind to buy. It was an easy recipe and making them was a lot like making pancakes... except that you you fry them in a ton of oil to make them crispy. Because of the amazing amount of oil and the heat my dad and I had to be careful to not get burned by flying oil. The guacamole really shocked my dad and I. It called for 2 teaspoons of minced onion. Yeah. Only 2. After we added all the ingredients it ended up being the perfect amount of guacamole. They ended up being really tasty even though the crab was pretty hidden. 
 
                    (Crab Fritters and Guacamole)  

       The crab fritters were tasty, but not quite a full meal. My dad an I used them as an appetizer. While my mom, brother, and great-aunt were eating the fritters and guacamole, my dad and I were in the kitchen frying some snapper (a.k.a. rockfish) and an orange-fennel salad. Fennel, if any of you are wondering, tastes like licorice (which I found out today). We went to the store and bought $20 worth of fish, only to come home and find out we bought twice as much as we needed... The finished product was delicious and definitely worth the money and time.

                 (Sauteed Snapper with Orange-Fennel Salad)

      Overall my family gave the fritters 7/10 and the fish 7.33/10. They would have given it more, but they didn't want to set the bar too high for the other dishes. LOL. 

See you next time internet! Love, Alexa :)   


 

No comments:

Post a Comment